...........SOMEBODY NEEDS TO SAY IT! Headline Animator

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

GLAAD STATEMENT ON PEREZ HILTON! FULL TEXT! HILTON RESPONSE!

June 23, 2009
GLAAD (Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) issued the following statement yesterday, which basically criticizes Perez Hilton for calling Will.I.Am of the Black Eyed Peas a “faggot”:

Statement from GLAAD on Perez Hilton’s Use of Anti-Gay Slur

New York, NY, June 22, 2009 – The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) today issued the following statement in response to a video posted by celebrity blogger Perez Hilton, in which he made the following remarks about a confrontation with will.i.am of the Black Eyed Peas and members of the band’s entourage.

"And that is when I made the split-second decision - that I was gonna say what I thought was the worst possible thing that thug [will.i.am] would ever want to hear. As I was standing my ground - without being violent or physical which I would never do - I told him - and you know what? I don't need to respect you and you're a f**. You're gay and stop being such a f***ot."

"These are vulgar anti-gay slurs that feed a climate of hatred and intolerance toward our community," said Rashad Robinson, Senior Director of Media Programs at GLAAD. “For someone in our own community to use it to attack another person by saying that it is, quote, ‘The worst possible thing that thug would ever want to hear,’ is incredibly dangerous. It legitimizes use of a slur that is often linked to violence against our community. And it sends a message that it is OK to attempt to dehumanize people by exploiting anti-gay attitudes.”

“We have reached out to Hilton and asked him to apologize for promoting this anti-gay slur, and we would ask media outlets to avoid repetition of the slur in their coverage of this story.”
Reuters is reporting that Toronto police have charged Liborio Molina, the manager of the Black Eyed Peas, with assault.

“While not all the facts in this case are known, the violence that appears to have been committed against Perez Hilton is unacceptable and ought to be condemned in the strongest possible terms,” said Robinson.

Perez responded with this statement to ENews: “I am saddened GLAAD chose to victimize me further by criticizing me for how I nonviolently dealt with a very
scary situation that, unfortunately, turned violent. While I doubt I will get an apology from GLAAD, nor do I expect one, I would just hope people know how difficult it is to intellectualize a situation and think rationally when a thug disguised as a musician is screaming at your face and intimidating you. I am just very fortunate and grateful that nothing more serious happened to me.”

I have to say I agree with GLAAD that Hilton was wrong to call Will.I.Am a gay slur and yet, Molina, the Black Eyed Peas manager had no right to slug the blogger. At posting time, word on the Internet has it that Perez is threatening to sue, a move I find ill-advised. I also believe the whole incident was blown out of all proportions. This is the last I’ll write about it.


Photo of apricot Orania Hybrid Lily (Oriental x Asian) from the author's free flower photo website http://www.freefishcaretips.com/photos91

Also visit http://www.galechesterwhittington.com/ for free humor, short stories, poems, and book excerpts from the award-winning gay author


==copyright 2009==

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

LAST 200 POSTS